Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's Resolution: more cross country skiing, more salsa

Last night we went to a fantastic salsa new year's eve party with Marco and Lavinia and danced the night away. I didn't think I had the skills to dance in front of a group of mostly pro dancers, but it turns out I could handle Bachata: where (if you are the girl) you basically just keep a march step and follow the guy. But the real stars of the party were Marco and Lavinia- when they took the dance floor everyone stepped back and cheered them on.

Then today we went cross country skiing with Anne and Andrew at Echo Lake, near Lake Tahoe. It was incredibly beautiful and peaceful. We trekked around the backwoods for a while, then doubled around the ridge overlooking Tahoe Basin and ended up at Echo Lake, where Anne and Andrew went flying down the steep ravine leading to the lake 2 or 3 times (while I, exhausted by this point, just watched).

And here's a picture from hiking near the American river in Auburn, CA, which is about an hour east of Davis. It starts getting mountain-y again around there, as you hit the Sierras, which is a nice contrast to the mostly desert-y Davis area (I miss pine trees). I love hiking. Maybe I should quit my job and become a park ranger so I can spend the whole day outside.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, it's like the only thing that has changed since Seattle is that the clouds have parted. I need to do some snowboarding this season. And I was just asking Michelle whether she wanted to go clubbing or salsa dancing when I visit in 2 weeks.

Marco Ramilli said...

HeHeHe, Thank you Ann !! :-D.

PS: The style that you were dancing is Merenghe, but I'm sure that You are a wonder also in bachata.