I thought I was the only programmer/knitter in the world, but no, like rocker/hacker ch1Xors, there is an active group of my odd demographic on the internet!
First of all, the awesome folks at KnitML have created a standard content model for knitting patterns, along with a pattern renderer, so you can get an idea of what your knitted object will look like from its pattern. I always thought that knitting patterns were computer program-like in style. And of course they should be: knitting machines need deterministic, procedural instructions. I always thought it was interesting how crafty folks, many of whom would probably claim they know nothing about writing computer programs, comfortably use control structures in knitting patterns.
Here is a great talk on the history of knitting in relation to computing/hacker culture, including open source patterns, knitting in public spaces, and how technology and the internet is shaping the state of the art.
Also, here is a roundup of geek craft from 2007, including knitting a space invaders scarf. Pixelated old video game images make good quilts and knits.
Monday, December 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment