About half the time, when Marco and Lavinia (who are native Italian speakers) ask me what the word is for something, my answer makes them laugh and say "oh, it's so obvious! the word is the use of the object!" Example: comforter- it comforts you as you sleep! Power cord: it's a cord that provides power. Flip flop- that's the sound the shoe makes when you walk around in it.
Once I started noticing these obvious American words, now I can't stop noticing them. They're everywhere: arm hair, cashback, fingernail, bike seat, waterfall...
Also interesting: almost all programming languages use english keywords, so no matter what your native language is, you must learn bits of English to become a programmer. English is the international language of computer science, like Italian is the international language of music.
Thursday, October 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
HeHeHe, very very funny post !
It's true, a lot of English words are obvious and for this reason I think English language is more expressive than other ones. Most expressive language are often more natural languages ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_language).
Well, I mean... you gotta learn just few words and reuse them in different contests without learn specific words for everything ! This is the power of English. And this is one the main reason because English language has been and currently is used in computer science.
Anyway thank you Ann for the nice Post !!!
Post a Comment