Thursday, September 20, 2007

Wiki and Doggies

I found myself missing Amazon's internal wiki today, as I shuffled through the notes on my desk and the docs that have been emailed to me, so I set up an internal company wiki server. Response so far is positive, though time will tell if the engineers will actually use it. Obnoxiously asking "why don't you document that in my wiki?" after the answer of every question I ask may help.

I set up the wiki server on, gasp, a windows machine, but it was actually pretty easy. This site has an excellent set of instructions on how to install a WAMP (windows+apache+mysql+php) stack and then install mediawiki.

Grant, the VP of engineering's dog, is the sweetest dog ever. He sat on my feet during my interview. He follows the CEO around most of the day, and makes sure no mean people try to sell us anything. He's a yellow lab with a patch of curly fur on his back. He was trained as a seeing eye dog for the blind, but got disqualified at the end of the training process because he broke his front arm. Being well trained, he never barks or tries to steal food (though begging is another story). And if any Amazon people are reading this, yes Grant is nicer than Miso. And cuter.

No comments: