Saturday, September 15, 2007

Spreading the vibes love

I have had an irrational love of the vibraphone for as long as I can remember. It's so smooth, so jazzy, so mellow. It can have a staccato or sustained sound, be soft or loud (without additional amplification), and the vibrato speed is adjustable. Last year I achieved my life goal of getting one, buying it from a 13-year-old on craigslist (who was over the vibraphone phase and moving on to the welding phase; too bad). The vibraphone made it's first public appearance at the Greenbean Coffeehouse in Seattle when Skip and Anton and I played some music to help raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Foundation.

A few weeks ago Mike, Sara, and baby Rosie came over for a BBQ, and I showed Rosie the vibes. She loved it (and not just because hitting things is fun when you are 1), and I'm convinced she's going to be the next great jazz vibes legend. I suspect someone hovered me over a vibraphone when I was 1, and that's where my irrational love came from.

No comments: