Friday, February 15, 2008

Another economic solution to that social problem

Well, I've donated about $150 to the ACLU over the last few weeks as part of my economic protest, and while I feel happy about giving myself an excuse to donate money to charities doing great work, I decided to get another job. And not just for these reasons in that other post. When I decided to go work for a small company, I was hoping to find an agile, fast-paced environment, unhindered by big company process and legacy code. The medical software company was not that. If anything, it had more legacy code than Amazon, and didn't strive for innovation because its business was in maintenance mode. I need to have a hard job, where I can constantly push myself to learn more. The time for coasting is not now.

Serendipitously, I found a job at a startup company that is in its early stages and is trying to change the world by building tools to empower consumers to make more conscientious buying decisions by providing them with easily accessible and complete product and company information. This is effectively another economic solution to the larger-scale, more important social problem of unsustainable consumption. So I'm really excited about this opportunity- it's a perfect match for my skills, interests, and ambitions. And ultimately I'm glad I took the medical software job and got disillusioned with it at exactly the same time that this other company got started. The timing couldn't have been better.

My new job title will be Web Ninja. Multicast packet storm pirates better watch out. And I'll be using Ruby on Rails, and getting to work on really interesting, hard data integration and personalization problems.

So I gave my 2 weeks notice yesterday. This morning when I came into work, my boss told me that even though I didn't have vacation built up, she'd prefer to just pay me out for the two weeks and let me go home now since my work was already wrapped up. Pretty sweet. So I'm relaxing on the couch today, catching up on the 57000 blogs I subscribe to. And maybe I'll even play with Ruby a little.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Congratulations. Moments where life just works in your favor are not as common as we would like, so savor them when they happen.

Sam

ann said...

:)